August 15, 2011
NHL Predictions: The Top 5 Norris Trophy Candidates for the 2011-2012 Season
The Ageless wonder Niklas Lidstrom captured the Norris Trophy—awarded to the NHL‘s top defenseman—for an unbelievable seventh time in 2010-2011. And while Lidstrom will return next season, he will certainly not be alone in the race to capture one of the most prized individual awards in the NHL today.
The inscription on the Norris Trophy reads: Awarded to the Top Defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position in the National Hockey League.
While I am not a Norris Trophy voter, I take “all-round ability” to include leadership and on-ice presence in addition to offensive and defensive ability.
Which candidates stand the best chance to dethrone one of the greatest defenseman to ever lace up a pair of skates and hoist the James Norris Memorial Trophy in 2011-2012? Read on to find out.
As always, comments are welcome and appreciated.
- The Top 2010-2011 Season Norris Trophy Candidates
- NHL News and Rumors: Nick Lidstrom and the Norris Trophy Watch
- 5 Players That Will Contend for the Norris Trophy
- NHL Predictions 2012: Power Ranking the Top 5 Candidates for the Vezina Trophy
- NHL History: The 10 Greatest Defensemen To Never Win a Norris Trophy